Teacher in Charge: 34573908Recommended Prior Learning
This is the introductory course for Science at Whangaparaoa College. Learners are taught in Science classrooms with access to the laboratory spaces for experimental work. Much of the focus in this year’s work is from Level 4 of the NZ Science Curriculum.
Course work for 2023 will include:
● An introduction to the Sciences including Health and Safety and basic laboratory practice
● Physical properties of Matter
● Forensic Science including separating mixtures
● Exploration of the Solar System
● Earth Cycles
● Science Fair Investigation
● Rube Goldberg Machines including Forces
● Ecological systems
● Adaptations of Flowering plants for reproduction
Introduction to Science
Science Fair (if in school finals or on to North Harbour regionals)
Rube Goldberg Machines and Forces
Agricultural/Horticultural Scientist, Agricultural Technician, Agricultural/Horticultural Consultant, Air Force Aviator, Air Force Officer, Aircraft Maintenance Engineer, Anaesthetic Technician, Animal Care Attendant, Zoologist, Beekeeper, Chemist, Aquaculture Farmer, Marine Biologist, Army Officer, Army Soldier, Author, Glazier, Microbiologist, Baker, Farmer/Farm ManagerCourse Costs and Equipment
$40 for the SciPAD Big Ideas Book 1 workbook, and an education session/visit from MOTAT at the beginning of Term 3.
Although we aim to enable every learner to have the course that they prefer, limited places or learning requirements may restrict learners' choices.